It is just over the predicted due date but your little prince or princess has not arrived yet. If your baby has not arrived yet, you can count on your wife to be quite frustrated, which, given her size and difficulty moving around, you can totally understand.
When you do get to these final days, you may consider some of the homespun ideas for bringing on labor. Since labor will start on its own right about now, it’s hard to know if any of these actually work, but your wife might be in the mood to try just about anything to bring on labor.
For us, it was a good dinner of spicy Indian food, but you might want to try some of these ideas: walking, spicy Mexican food, massage, nipple stimulation, or a warm bath. Anything else, including herbal remedies, should be okayed by a doctor.
It also appears that the old wives’ tale that having sex can bring on labor has been disproved by medical authorities.
This is the week your spouse is due for delivery. However, there is every possibility that she has already given birth, or may not do so until next week. Due date predictions are not very accurate.
If your spouse’s pregnancy extends beyond her due date, her doctor may decide to induce labor. In fact, there some everyday activities that are popularly believed to induce labor. None of these is medically proven to work. But, if nothing else has helped, there may be no harm in trying one of these. However, do consult your spouse’s doctor about it first.
• Spicy food: This is a popular method of bringing on labor naturally. Certain spices such as cumin are especially considered effective in stimulating the onset of labor.
• Walking: Walking is a simple and pleasurable way to induce labor. It helps push the baby deeper into the pelvis. It helps to make the contractions, once they have started, more regular. This way it can encourage labor to progress smoothly.
• Sex: Natural prostaglandins found in semen help to stimulate the cervix in and prepare it for delivery. Additionally, oxytocin released when the woman experiences orgasms can also trigger labor contractions. It is better to consult the doctor before having sex at this stage of the pregnancy.
• Castor oil: While not very pleasant to taste, swallowing castor oil can induce labor by causing the colon to start contracting, which can then trigger contractions in the uterus.
• Stimulating the nipples: Your spouse should never try this method unless under the supervision of her doctor. While this is an effective method of inducing labor, it could prove harmful if overdone.
If your wife’s pregnancy extends beyond her due date, her doctor may decide to induce labor. Read about some common labor inducers.